Monday, July 3, 2017
Elanor Sun-star Signature Oil Blend for July
July's blend is bright and sunny as a Hobbit's garden!
Tolkien's Elanor is a small star-shaped yellow flower, whose name means 'sun-star' in Sindarin. It grew abundantly on the Cerin Amroth mound in Lothlórien together with niphredil, and also in Tol Eressëa. On Frodo Baggins's suggestion, Samwise Gamgee named his daughter, Elanor the Fair, after this flower.
Base Oil: Safflower Oil
Secondary Oils: Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil
Essential Oils: Lemon, Oakmoss, Lavender, Neroli, Lemongrass
Aroma: Sunny citrus with a breath of floral and green.
Application: 1-2 drops of oil in the hands and massage into damp hair or into the scalp.
You can get the 4 ounce version here, or a mister here!
• Safflower Oil- also known as Carthamus tinctorius, functions as an emollient when applied topically, helping to keep skin and hair hydrated and moisturized. Safflower oil is a source naturally high in the vitamin E antioxidant, which helps reduce surface roughness.
• Coconut oil fractionated- Coconut oil is excellent as a skin moisturizer and softener. A study shows that extra virgin coconut oil is effective and safe when used as a moisturizer, with absence of adverse reactions. A study found that coconut oil helped prevent protein loss from the wet combing of hair when used for fourteen hours as a conditioner before washing the hair.
• Sunflower Oil Organic Cold–Pressed Unrefined– An oil wealthy in Oleic acids with high amounts of Vitamins A, D, and E, also has beneficial amounts of lecithin, and unsaturated fatty acids. Deeply nourishing and conditioning for the skin and hair it is a natural emollient (meaning it corrects scaling and dryness), by helping upraised skin and hair cells lay flat, helping to increase shine and keep in moisture. Cold-pressed oil, also called cold-drawn, or virgin, oil, is purer than oil expressed with the aid of heat and retains more of its natural benefits.
• Lemon Essential Oil- This refreshing oil is an antifungal and antibacterial. It also promotes circulation of the scalp.
• Oakmoss Essential Oil- Earthy-rich notes of moss, with slight undertones of wood and pine with excellent tenacity. Reminiscent of a walk in an old forest. Oakmoss is both an antiseptic and a demulcent meaning that it both fights microbes while soothing irritated tissues. It is excellent at helping maintain the moisture and oil balance of skin, making it fantastic for scalps.
• Lavender Essential Oil– Enhances hair growth by stimulating the scalp. The name “lavender” is derived from the Latin lavare, meaning, “to wash” and was known as one of the seven polyvalents (effective against many toxins). Greeks and Romans perfumed their bathwater with lavender, burned lavender incense to appease their wrathful gods, and believed the scent of lavender to be soothing to untamed lions and tigers.
• Neroli Essential Oil- With its light, citrusy scent, neroli has antibacterial properties that helps keep scalps healthy. Cytophylactic, it promotes the generation of new cells and stimulates the health of those already present.
• Lemongrass Essential Oil- A heavy, lemony, green scent, this oil is widely used as an addition to bug repellents, and for its lemony aroma. Citral is known for its antimicrobial effects, and can help kill or suppress the growth of bacteria and fungi. It's said that lemongrass oil's quality is generally determined by its citral content. For those that suffer from hair loss, oily hair, and other scalp conditions, lemongrass oil may be beneficial, as it can help strengthen hair follicles.
We've found that while people are interested in a custom blend for their hair, not everyone feels confident enough to pick the oils on their own. To that end, we are creating a suggested custom blend each month. You'll be able to order past blends at any time, or add or subtract oils as you prefer! These are just suggestions of ways to blend some of our many oils into our 1/2 ounce or 4 ounce custom oil blends.
Want each new oil delivered right to your door every month? Check out our Signature Oil Subscription Program!