|That's our awesome packaging ninja in the picture.|
Dwarvendom Discount Code
Use the code NightBlooming15 in their shop to get discounts on their amazing beard and hair beading accessories through the end of the year! It's a perfect Yule gift for the men in your life, or even women who want a bit of Tolkien flair!
We've found that while people are interested in a custom blend for their hair, not everyone feels confident enough to pick the oils on their own. To that end, we are creating a suggested custom blend each month. You'll be able to order past blends at any time, or add or subtract oils as you prefer! These are just suggestions of ways to blend some of our many oils into our 1/2 ounce or 4 ounce custom oil blends.
You can see all of the past featured oil blends of the month in our blog:
Philosopher's Beard Oil
The idea of the philosopher's beard gained traction when in 155 BCE three philosophers arrived in Rome as Greek diplomats: Carneades, head of the Platonic Academy; Critolaus of Aristotle's Lyceum; and the head of the Stoics Diogenes of Babylon. "In contrast to their beautifully clean-shaven Italian audience, these three intellectuals all sported magnificent beards." Thus the connection of beards and philosophy caught hold of the Roman public imagination.
As historian John Sellars puts it, Epictetus "affirmed the philosopher's beard as something almost sacred...to express the idea that philosophy is no mere intellectual hobby but rather a way of life that, by definition, transforms every aspect of one's behavior, including one's shaving habits. If someone continues to shave in order to look the part of a respectable Roman citizen, it is clear that they have not yet embraced philosophy conceived as a way of life and have not yet escaped the social customs of the majority...the true philosopher will only act according to reason or according to nature, rejecting the arbitrary conventions that guide the behavior of everyone else."
Philosopher's Beard Oil Oil Custom Blend: A light, moisturizing oil perfect for both the beard and the skin beneath.
Base Oil: Sweet Almond Oil
Secondary Oils: Jojoba Oil, Argan Oil
Essential Oils: Bay Laurel, Litsea, Clove, Bergamot, Sweet Orange
Aroma: Warm rum and clean citrus.
Application: After a shower rub 1-2 drops of oil in the hands and massage into the beard.
• Sweet Almond Oil- This pale golden oil is extracted from almond kernels. Apart from vitamin E it also contains vitamin D and other nutritious components including essential minerals such as magnesium, calcium and rich, natural fats. This oil is easily absorbed and will not clog pores, making it ideal for the scalp and face as well as hair.
• Jojoba Oil- Jojoba Oil is found to be an ideal moisturizer and conditioner which is derived from a natural plant. Jojoba oil is produced from a desert plant called Simmondsia Chinensis whose oil is highly regarded as an effective conditioner, moisturizer, cleanser and softener for the skin and hair. This deep golden oil is considered to be the closest to the sebum naturally produced by the body, making it a customer favorite.
• Argan oil, dubbed as Miracle oil; extracted from kernels of Argan fruit by crushing, is swiftly taking the place of other natural oils for hair protection and treatment. Argan oil contains tocopherols (vitamin E), phenols, carotenes, squalene, and fatty acids, making it both light and great for brittle hair.
• Bay Essential Oil– Bay is a scalp stimulant and antiseptic astringent and was very popular with the Romans, who thought Bay was a symbol of wisdom, peace and protection. The Latin Laudis means “to praise,” which is why the victors at the Olympic games were presented with a Laurel (Bay) Wreath. The priestesses at Delphi sat over the burning fumes to increase their prophetic visions.
• Litsea Cubeba Essential Oil- A heavy, sweet citrus oil. The essential oil is extracted from the ripened and dried fruits of the Litsea Cubeba tree. Like most citrus oils, its scent is immediately uplifting and rejuvenating, its astringent prperties help to cleans scalp pores, while its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory action minimizes and heals existing flare-ups.
• Clove Essential Oil- This warm and spicy oil aids in circulation and is recommended for skin care, especially to acne patients.
• Bergamot Essential Oil- Certain components of the essential oil of Bergamot are antibiotic and disinfectant in nature. They inhibit the growth of germs, virus and fungi. They also effectively prohibit infections, including those of the skin. It has a refreshing and natural scent and is also a tonic, meaning it tones up skin and muscles
• Orange (Sweet) Essential Oil- A zesty citrus, sweet, strong aroma, Sweet Orange is cheering, refreshing, uplifting, and comforting. Orange, like all citrus fruits, plays an important role in Chinese medicine.